Friday, January 3, 2014

Snow Day

I remember waiting and hoping my school would get closed during a snowstorm so that I could have a day of reckless TV watching and game-playing. As an adult, I want snow days for a little extra sleep and time to get something accomplished around the house.  Well, today has not been the snow day I had hoped for. It is cold, I am in pain and I go in and out of the revolving door of anxiety and depression. It might be a bit of cabin fever, but I also know the emotions I feel stem from the disappointment that my body can't keep up with what my heart and soul want to accomplish. I have been living with migraines since my college years and have struggled quite a bit with various gynecological issues.  But, my chronic pain issues catapulted in 2012 and I've since been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  It's the worst feeling when I can't fully function as a mom and a partner to my husband. What's ironically more crippling is when the physical pain isn't too bad, but the emotional guilt consumes me all the same.

When I'm feeling down, I usually scan Facebook to check the updates of friends. There is a lot of good people out there doing some pretty cool stuff.  Sometimes, a feel-good story energizes me to get moving.  Today and many days, I'm inspired by Jack and Anna's Godfather, Joe. He is living in the Arctic Circle in Alaska and we are so very proud of him for making this journey. Joe has been great about posting videos and every time I watch, it's inspiring to see someone push themselves to take risks and try something new. Plus, watching those videos reminds me not to complain about Boston weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment