Thursday, January 2, 2014

Creature Comforts


It's snowing in Boston. The schools are closed and I'm home fighting a cold, the kind that grabs a hold of your sinuses and won't let go.  So, I've taken my usual spot in bed with hot tea and my comfy college sweatshirt (the same one pictured), but, something is noticeably missing. Our Maine Coon, Buck died in August and this frigid cold and feeling of blah makes me miss him that much more.  Buck was the big bear carpet sprawled out in the middle of the living room, commanding attention.  I always secretly liked that he would get in the middle of wherever our kids were playing, with the attitude of an older brother saying, "hey, I was here first".  Buck liked to fight with Steve and cuddle with me - I was his groomer, his bed, and his place to drool.  I knew something was wrong when he no longer sought me out.  We discovered Buck had developed significant cancerous tumors and made the tough decision to have him euthanized.  This picture, like the day we said good-bye to him, is filled with so many memories of our 15-year journey with Buck (aka The Big Kahuna).

In the fall of 1998, Steve and I were living in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida when Steve's sister called and said she had found a cat with a litter of new kittens and was hoping we would consider taking a couple.  She even offered to drive down from Pittsburgh.  We really couldn't resist and agreed that we should take two cats. Buck and his sister, LuLu became Floridians in October, 1998.

Steve and I both had childhood pets who represented to us, trusted, best friends.  Kritz, who lived 16 years, was Steve's dog and Tippy Toes, who lived 19 years, was my cat.  Tippy helped me to feel safe when I was scared and loved me when I felt no one else would.  Steve and I had only been married for 2 months when we moved to Florida.  Newly married and working in new jobs, trying to meet new people, and living in a state you knew nothing about was to say the least...challenging.  I think Buck and LuLu made Steve and I laugh when we needed it the most and helped us to work as partners in our new marriage.  Reflecting back, I can totally see the validity in pet ownership before big life decisions like parenthood.

Steve and I came home one weekend afternoon to find blood all over the front of Buck's white fur markings on his mouth and chest.  We freaked out -- looked at him, looked at LuLu, looked all over our apartment, and couldn't find anything.  We took him to the emergency vet, they cleaned him up and said nothing was wrong with him and that he probably just killed a GECKO -- translation, put that in your Florida cat parent handbook.

Buck stayed true to his Florida roots and never took to the snow here in New England.  We even tried to gently remind him that he was a Maine Coon.  No, he wouldn't have it, he would be trying to find the warmest lap during this snowstorm.  I really miss him.  I'm proud of LuLu, the stereotypical scaredy-cat who balks at the idea of affection, has been coming around, trying to fill the role of snuggle-kitty.  The fact that I captured this picture of her on my bed is a start of our budding relationship.  Well, from the look on her face, I clearly still have some convincing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment