Monday, January 6, 2014

Technology and Me...Oil and Water

I'm convinced that I have a metal plate in my head that my parents didn't tell me about.  Steve can't believe what happens to our laptop, TV, and Wii when I'm in the room.  I don't have a dislike for technology.  I remember thinking my mom was so uncool and perhaps a little cheap for being the last person I knew to get a cordless phone, VCR, microwave, etc.  I recall that I was pretty savvy with my Atari system and Commodore 64 keyboard - I didn't own a GameBoy, everyone else did and I was pretty good at playing Tetris! My sister and I laughed uncontrollably when my mom was assigned the job of training people on these new things called Macintosh computers for the middle schools -- what did she know, right? Our house at any given time had 3-5 different computers that she had to test out - she'd ask us to try different educational software.  I loved "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"!  So, if I wasn't sheltered from technology then, why am I so bad at it now?

A colleague of mine made an excellent point to me recently that I've set myself up to be known as someone that can't be trusted to handle websites, technology, etc.  I think it was a combination of a loss of interest and a loss of confidence that has led me down this path.  I've built this wall up so high, I'm wondering if I have the energy it takes to break it down.  This blog is but one example of me trying to embrace the different world of media and technology we live in today. 

As I sit here, my husband is setting up my new Chromebook, I'm writing on a laptop.  There is also a tablet and my smartphone within reach.  Well. not really, because my kids already have them updated with their favorite apps.  I've got a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment